Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Greatest


A couple days ago I started to move backwards through Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums ever. Of course, I'm only gonna be able to check out the ones I can hear on Rhapsody. I've already scared my girlfriend twice. The first time was when I said I was listening to the Eurythmics, and the second was when I said I was listening to Cyndi Lauper. Both times she just kinda paused on the other end of the phone, as if to question my masculinity without saying a word. I had to explain my project, and I even ended up defending Cyndi Lauper's music. How could I have ever thought that I'd be defending Cyndi Lauper, to a girl, no less? Click on the title link for the RS list.

So, the other day I was enjoying ZZ Top's Tres Hombres , and by reading up on the band, it seems like the critics didn't really get them. ZZ Top is a bluesy, boozy, bar band that just happens to include one of the best blues guitarists alive and an impenetrable rhythm section. They're not trying to re-invent the wheel. They're just trying to rock out the boogie, and if you think it's catchy, too, well then that's great. Have you heard "La Grange" lately? If you're in a band, you can interweave the bass and drums, but how can you hope to mesh like the guys in ZZ Top? Man, how awesome would it have been to be in ZZ Top and be able to just roll over audiences with your tightness? ZZ Top is gonna be at Jazzfest this year. Rock!

No comments: